Improve Your Home's Indoor Air Quality with our IAQ Options
When buildings are sealed tight, energy costs are reduced. However, when no ventilation is allowed to enter a building, airborne contaminants quickly rise to toxic levels and Sick Building Syndrome (SBS) can quickly take hold.
Contaminants can include microbes like bacteria, fungi and viruses that make you sick along with allergens and pollen that worsen allergies and aggravate or cause respiratory disorders. Volatile organic compounds (VOCs), carbon monoxide, dust mites, dust, carbon dioxide, pet dander and other irritants may also be circulating through your indoor air and causing a variety of health problems. The good news is that poor indoor air quality (IAQ) is easy to correct.
Indoor Air Quality: Products for Healthy Living
There's no reason to suffer from the harmful effects of indoor air pollution when you can protect your family and employees with IAQ products that give you air that's fresh and clean:
- Energy recovery ventilators (ERVs) go straight to the source of the problem by moving fresh air into your living space and moving stale, contaminated air out. ERVs perform this feat with minimal energy loss and without sacrificing heated or cooled air.
- UV germicidal lights kill unwanted freeloaders in your living space with ultraviolet radiation. The lights destroy bacteria, viruses, dust mites and fungi that may be thriving in your ductwork or HVAC equipment and threatening the health of your loved ones.
- Air filtration systems keep indoor air clean by trapping contaminants as they circulate through your HVAC’s air distribution system. Air filtration can catch particles like dust, pet dander and pollen, as well as microbes like viruses, bacteria, spores, fungi and dust mites. The effectiveness of air filtration depends on the MERV rating of the filters you choose for your HVAC. Filters have a MERV between one and 20; the higher the rating, the more effective the filter. A MERV between seven and 13 is considered very effective. However, the more effective the filter, the more airflow resistance it will create in your HVAC. And a Byrum Heating & A/C, Inc. technician can help you to determine the most effective MERV rating for your HVAC air filters.
- Ductwork sealing keeps indoor air healthy by sealing leaks that allow contaminants to invade your living space.
- Air cleaners are units with high MERV filters. They are integrated into your HVAC, and indoor air is continuously cycled through the filter to trap pollutants. Depending on the filter rating, air cleaners can remove up to 100 percent of airborne irritants.
- Air purifiers work by electronically zapping airborne pollutants using negative ions, heat or ozone. Air purifiers can effectively remove pathogens that cause illness and allergies, but they're not effective at removing dust.
- Humidifiers and dehumidifiers can work in conjunction with your HVAC system to balance and optimize indoor humidity levels.
If you want healthy indoor air, you must change your air filters regularly and tune up your HVAC annually. To determine the health of your indoor air, call one of our highly trained technicians today.
We may be stationed in Marshville and Monroe, but Byrum Heating & A/C, Inc., services these areas as well: