Understanding the Efficiency Rating of Your Home’s Furnace

When it’s time to purchase a new furnace in Monroe, NC, you have a lot to consider. Along with who you’ll hire to install your new furnace, you should also consider the furnace’s efficiency rating. Every new furnace comes with an Annual Fuel Utilization Efficiency (AFUE) rating. It’s listed as a percentage, but what does that percentage mean?

What Does an AFUE Rating Measure?

Basically, this rating measures how efficient a furnace is at heating your home or business. For example, let’s say that your new furnace has an AFUE rating of 90%. This means that 90% of the energy that the furnace consumes is turned into heat for your home. The remaining 10% would be lost elsewhere, including heat lost through piping or ducts. Thus, quality heating systems have a higher AFUE rating.

Most low-rated furnaces have out-of-date features. For instance, new furnaces don’t have a continuous pilot light, which reduces how much fuel that they use while on standby.

What Is Considered a High AFUE Rating?

Typically, a system with an AFUE rating of 90% or higher is considered highly efficient. A midrange system typically has a rating of 80% to 89%. Any unit below that threshold is considered to have low efficiency. Compared to new systems, most old systems aren’t very efficient and have a relatively low AFUE rating.

Of course, upgrading your furnace doesn’t just lower your energy bills. It can reduce your family’s carbon footprint as well. Upgrading a gas furnace that has an AFUE of 56% to one that has a rating of 90% reduces your carbon emissions by 1.5 tons every year. If your furnace uses oil, an upgraded model could save 2.5 tons in carbon emissions per year.

We Can Repair or Install Your New Furnace

If your furnace is faulty or old, you can count on Byrum Heating & A/C, INC. Our trained professionals can repair your furnace or install a new one with a better furnace efficiency rating. Reach out to us today to learn more about our furnace services.

You May Also Like

modern furnace systems in Monroe, NC
November 30, 2021

Modern Furnaces Make Less Noise And Are Far More Efficient

Frosty winter nights and chilly winter days in Monroe, NC will have you reaching for the thermostat. If your home’s furnace is… Continue Reading Modern Furnaces Make Less Noise And Are Far More Efficient

Read More…

Annual Furnace Maintenance in Monroe, NC
October 29, 2021

Don’t Skip Your Annual Furnace Maintenance Appointment

The crisp air of autumn has arrived in Monroe, NC, and the chilly winter temperatures will soon follow. Now is the best… Continue Reading Don’t Skip Your Annual Furnace Maintenance Appointment

Read More…

Whole-Home Humidifier in Monroe, NC

Reasons to Invest in a Whole-Home Humidifier

Unless you have allergies, asthma, COPD, or another respiratory condition, you might not notice the dry winter air in your Monroe, NC,… Continue Reading Reasons to Invest in a Whole-Home Humidifier

Read More…

Compliance Settings
Increase Font Size
Grayscale
Simplified Font
Underline Links
Highlight Links
Reset
Close